Monday, April 8, 2013

Guest Post - My Writing Path by Robyn Jones

I'd like to thank Robyn for taking the time to write up this guest post. I hope you enjoy. This will be Part 1 of a series.

My Writing Path (part 1)


I wrote a story and it sucked. Without meaning to, I tweaked and twisted my life into a novel, only with a happily-ever-after-guy in the mix. I wrote another story. This time I only touched on my life. My fate was sealed; I had become a writer.

Funny thing about discovering a dream, it comes loaded with fantasies. Write a book and voila! You land an agent who quickly secures an attentive publisher and top of the line editor. With magic at work behind the scenes, your wonderful story ends up on a bookstore shelf! Oh my goodness, people you haven't spoken to in decades call and email you. You're so awesome because you wrote a book. There are two truths in this ramble, the wrote a book part, and the awesome part.

My path post fantasy started with entering contests. I discovered Romance Writers of America. Reading through their contests felt like reading through the course book for the college of my dreams. I wanted to enter each one. I dove in and submitted Soul Walker. Another truth revealed itself. I suck at waiting. I turned to root beer floats. Honest. I hit them hard.

So here's what you need to know about entering contests. Each one has formatting guidelines. Read them carefully. Make sure you choose one that will benefit you even if your work doesn't place. Just so you know, tons of people suck at contests. They do...okay, I do. Oh, and Marissa Meyer does too. I know this because I went to one of her book signing events where she spoke about her process post cementing herself as a writer.

~Robyn

About Robyn Jones:

I'm the mom of two hardcore boys. My oldest trained me to be matter-of-fact, no frills. My youngest wants the whole singsongy sweet package. Thank goodness for reading and writing because they are my sanity makers. I know life is all about the journey, that's why I like my fiction to be all about the destination. I want to be taken somewhere not here when I read, same goes with the stories I create. Thrills, chills, tears, and laughter, but there has to be something to hold on to at the end.

Blog / Twitter / Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment