Friday, July 5, 2013

Sidekick Saturday [30] - Soldier

Sidekick Saturday
Sidekick Saturday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment

July 13th - Strange
July 19th - Mentor
July 26th - Cowboy

This week is Soldier

My choice is Clarisse La Rue
The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordin

Clarisse La Rue Picture Created by Jaclyn Canada

In honor of the July 4th holiday, or Independence Day, celebrated in the U.S., I wanted to choose the theme of soldier for this week's sidekick. I have mad respect for any person that wears the uniform since I know that I don't have the chops to make it in that situation.

We've been discussing wars in our books this week as well for the holiday and since I went with Percy Jackson for my Feature and Follow Friday post, I wanted to follow it up further by highlighting a character from the series for my Sidekick Saturday. One of the most ferocious soldiers in the story is Clarisse, who is the daughter of Ares, the God of War. She is the head of her cabin at their Camp Halfblood.

I find Clarisse to be such a fun character. She comes off abrasive at first and gives Percy a very hard time when he meets her. She IS a bit of a bully and exceptionally stubborn, but I still like her. Mostly this is because she wants to prove that she is worthy of being Ares' daughter. Throughout the series though, she shows that she can grow as a character and she really does have the battle prowess to back up her mouth. In the last book, she was one of the shining stars in the war and showed that there's no doubt that she's Ares' girl.

In the movie that is coming out in August, Percy Jackson and The Sea of Monsters, Clarisse plays a pretty large part and will be portrayed by Leven Rambin. She was Glimmer in The Hunger Games. The first movie didn't follow the book well at all, but from what I've seen about this one, it looks like it will more closely resemble the story. 

Quotes:


"I AM CLARISSE, DRAKON-SLAYER! I will kill you ALL! Where is Kronos? Bring him out! Is he a coward?" - The Last Olympian



“Grilled satyr with mango chutney," Polyphemus mused. He looked back at Clarisse, still hanging over the pot of boiling water. "You a satyr too?"
"No, you overgrown pile of dung!" she yelled. "I'm a girl! The daughter of Ares! Now untie me so i can rip your arms off!"
"Rip my arms off," Polyphemus repeated.
"And stuff them down your throat!"
"You got spunk.” - The Sea of Monsters



Annabeth: "Meet Clarisse, Daughter of Ares."
Percy: "Like...the war god?"
Clarisse: "You got a problem with that?"  - The Lightening Thief




“It's our loot!" he yelled, standing on his tiptoes so he could get in Clarisse's face. "If you don't like it, you can kiss my quiver!” - The Last Olympian



“I started to walk away, but she [Clarisse] called out, "Percy?"
"Yeah?"
"When you, uh, had that vision about your friends..."
"You were one of them," I promised, "Just don't tell anybody, okay? Or I'd have to kill you."
A faint smile flickered across her face "See you later."
"See you” - The Lost Demigod Files


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment